December 19, 2014

TRIBUTE


There was no middle ground when it came to Joan Rivers. You either liked her or you didn't and that was it.

I thought she was awesome!

Here she is on The Ed Sullivan Show in 1967. The concept of female comics was still fairly new back then and some felt it wasn't a woman's place to be on stage telling jokes. You can tell that by the audience reaction to some of her jokes, but she still got through to them.



When I read earlier this year that after 70 years, Broadway-legend Elaine Stritch had left New York City and returned to her hometown of Detroit, MI (due to failing health), it was at that moment I (quite easily) closed the door to the long-held dream of moving back to the city I call My Oz.

There's just no way I can live in a city that doesn't count Stritchie (Noel Coward's nickname for her) as one of its inhabitants.

No comments:

Post a Comment