November 21, 2011

FOLLIES

Screen legend Gloria Swanson, in the ruins of the Roxy Theatre on October 14, 1960.
This picture is said to have been the inspiration for the Sondheim musical, Follies, currently
playing at the Marquis Theater in New York City

"Tonight is an important night in your musical theater education."

That's what the late, great theater critic for the Associated Press (and friend of mine), Michael Kuchwara, told me as we made our way to Millburn, New Jersey, back in 1998. It's where a revival of the Stephen Sondeim musical, Follies, was opening at the Papermill Playhouse, a production he was going to review for the venerable news wire. There was a hope that the production was Broadway-bound, but alas, it wasn't to be.

It has since found it's way back to The Great White Way (officially opening back in September), and has been favorably reviewed by New York Times critic Ben Brantley.

I'm not sure why I'm writing about it, since I'm now left coast-based. Maybe it's because I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to see it in its current incarnation (which stars Bernadette Peters). Maybe it's because I still fondly remember that night with Mike, who passed away about a year and half ago.

Or MAYBE it's because I've been thinking about MY OZ a bit lately, and I feel like it's time to fly back for a visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment