March 26, 2013

ARS GRATIA ARTIS REDUX



Apparently, someone at the fabled Palace Hotel - a very fine establishment where I spent many a night before moving to San Francisco - saw my March 23rd post (see below), when I questioned the removal of its historic Maxfield Parrish The Pied Piper (for which the venerable watering hole is named for). It seems the hotel had a nefarious plan to quietly sell the beloved mural at auction.

Thanks to public outcry (no doubt stirred by my in-depth report), the decision from the executive floor has been reversed, and once restoration of the 103-year old painting is complete, it will again hang at the hotel. However, the hotel now says they may not return it to its original location, claiming they are concerned about possible damage from liquid.

(sigh)

If you've got a historic painting named The Pied Piper, then it should remain on the walls of the bar of the same name, like it has for the last 103 years. Either hang it a little higher than before so it doesn't become damaged again (silly excuse), or hang it behind some non-glare plexi-glass.

Seriously, if you do, I would honestly consider spending all my drinking dollars at your fine saloon. In fact, I'll up the ante, and bring a few friends with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment