September 3, 2014

BOOKWORM


"One time, my hitchhiking date was Patricia Hearst. As we walked toward Route 6 from Provincetown, we quickly go a ride, but I don't think the driver recognized me until we got in, me in the front, her in the back. He kept doing double takes looking over at me and finally said, "Are you John Waters?" and I said, yes and at the same time he looked in the rearview mirror, I said "And that's Patty Hearst." He looked totally shocked but I could tell he realized it was her. "He made me do it," Patty deadpanned, and I was so proud of her improvisational skills. We were now a hitchhiking comedy duo."

"Later, her husband, Bernie, whom I love but realize is the head of security for Hearst Corporation, was a little perturbed when she told him of our day's adventure. "Oh, come on, John," he said with impatience, "hasn't she had enough trouble?!"

I guess he was right.

-- John Water, Carsick: John Waters Hitchhikes Across America

I'm only on page 9 and I've laughed out loud several times already. I wouldn't expect any less from one of my favorite people.

2 comments:

  1. I've got this on MP3 with Waters reading. I listened to a couple hours of it already, but that was a couple months ago and just haven't gotten back to it. I like the bit where he meets up with Edie the Egg Lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man, that's what i should have done. i would LOVE to hear him read this.

    ReplyDelete