September 1, 2014

CITY LIGHTS



I'll try to be as brief as possible.

The Tramp (Charlie Chaplin) meets a homeless blind woman selling flowers on the street and is immediately taken by her beauty. When he realizes that she cannot see, he decides to do whatever he can to raise enough money (which he does) for the surgery she needs to restore her sight (which she gets).

High-jinx ensue.

Although this clip is four minutes long, I guarantee the payoff at the end is more than worth it. The final scene is, without a doubt, the finest and most powerful moment ever captured on film and I am secure enough in my masculinity to admit that I'm a blubbering mess the minute she touches his hand and realizes who this hobo really is.

Yes, City Lights is a silent film but that's okay, because sometimes words just get in the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment