February 9, 2010

PUT THAT BACK, IT'S NOT YOURS

This picture represents what part of my 9-11 experience was. I broke my right ankle in several places and tore the ligaments running from a collapsing Tower 2, which required surgery and a six-week recovery period in bed (there is also the emotional crap that I still have to deal with). Because of that, I was qualified to participate, but declined to do so, in the 9-11 compensation fund that had been set up with donations following a telethon. My reasoning being that I was alive, my insurance covered the surgery and I thought there where other victims with much more severe injuries than I (not to mention the fact that there were families that had lost someone). I threw the paperwork out.

So I was became VERY angry when I read a recent article about the increase of people who are getting caught trying to work the system to get what they do NOT deserve (with regards to workers compensation, access to that 9-11 fund, etc). I know I'm being naive here but I just don't understand how someone can try to get away with something like this and be able to sleep at night.

It creates such a credibility issue for everyone who was there and HAS a legitimate claim.

No comments:

Post a Comment