February 15, 2012

ATTACK OF THE KILLER TOMATOES


I posted following as my Facebook status this past weekend. I also posted it to the Facebook page of Bi-Rite Market, as well. To my shock and dismay, they were completely unresponsive (although they wasted no time in deleting my post from their pagge), so I went ahead and added them to my growing BOYCOTT list.

Here's how it all went down:

Just FYI - I was in your store earlier today and purchased a few items, including a sandwich from your deli. Out of habit, I asked for extra tomato on that sandwich. The counter person then asked if I was sure I wanted extra tomato, and I thought she was just making a joke or something. I said yes, and then she went into this weird speech about she would do it, but that tomatoes weren't in season, that it was detrimental to my health and was something I should think about.

First of all, I don't need to be schooled on my health. I am an adult and know what healthy eating is all about. If there is such a concern about what is seasonal or not, then why is there tomato in the deli department in the first place? 

Secondly, there are plenty of items for sale in your store that would be considered "detrimental to my health," i.e. Bulliet Bourbon, cows milk, non gluten-free items, etc, and I don't think the TWO small slices of tomato she grudgingly placed in my sandwich are going to kill me. Neither is the avocado, which was not only in the sandwich, but is also not in season.

I went ahead and bought the sandwich, along with a few other items, but I was so bothered by this experience that I'm not likely to return to your store, and will probably walk a few more blocks east to Rainbow Market, where I know the person behind the counter isn't going to point their finger at me because of what I'm buying.

Buh Bi-Rite.

No comments:

Post a Comment