May 28, 2013

MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU REDUX



This past Saturday, I posted on the anniversary of Star Wars (May The Force Be With You), so I was amused to see the SFGATE posted on their site today a little story about the Coronet Theatre, where the movie played during its initial release in the Summer of 1977.

Looks like someone is stealing ideas from the Poop . . . AGAIN!

Anyway, the article is full of fond remembrances, and I've linked it here, but I'll write about my own, as well.

Because I had changed elementary schools that Fall, I didn't know my new classmates well enough to invite any of them to a party, so this was a family-centric birthday. After cake and presents at my grandmother's (this is also the birthday I went after my brother with a knife), we piled into the car and drove down to see the hottest movie that year at the Coronet Theatre on Geary Boulevard in San Francisco.

There are so many reasons why I love Star Wars, and not just because it's a really good movie. This was the first time I had to wait in a line that went around the block, which in my mind only added to the buzz and excitement. This was also the first time I had ever attended a film with audience participation - good training for the Rocky Horror Picture Show, which I saw the following year.

Last but certainly not least, Luke Skywalker was kinda nice-looking, too.

Years later, when I was first living in San Francisco, whenever I passed by the Coronet, which has since been torn down and replaced with a senior care facility, I always remembered it as the Star Wars theatre, something that nearly every person in the SFGATE article called out as well.

Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment