January 26, 2010

DEVOLUTION

With movies costing anywhere from $10 to $15 bucks these days, the last thing I want to see or hear is some douche-bag loser sitting near me texting or using their cellphone. I'm not sure when this became acceptable (and honestly, it isn't), but the movie-experience has gotten so ridiculous that I may stop going to movie theatres -- PERIOD.

It seems every time I go to the movies, I have to either SHHHH someone or lean over and ask them to turn off their cellphone. When I think about it, it seems that this is a San Francisco-specific situation (at least in my experience). I don't remember this as a big problem in New York City or Seattle (two other cities where I've lived and regularly went to the movies).

While on vacation in Scottsdale last year, I went to a movie to kill some time created by a flight delay. As the movie trailers were starting, I reached into my pocket and pulled out my cellphone to turn if off and while I was doing that, an usher came over and asked me not to use my phone. Before she could finish what she was saying, I cut her off with a terse "I'm not using it, I'm turning it off." Ironically, right after this happened, a movie commercial came on telling everyone to turn off their cellphones. At the time I thought that I didn't need babysitting but judging from my recent movie going experiences, it appears that many movie-goers do.

So sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment