January 30, 2010

THAT'S HOW WE ROLLED

I'm not sure how we got on the subject, but while on a recent weekend road trip, my friend Joe and I started talking about roller skating in the 70's. He said something about how lucky he felt that he was old enough to have experienced the trend that was "Roller Disco."

I share that feeling, as well.

Cal-Skate, in Rohnert Park, is where I spent my skating time (from the 5th grade through the 8th grade), and every time the song "Grove Line" by Heatwave pops up on my ipod, I'm instantly transported back to 1978.

I close my eyes and picture myself rounding the far corner of the rink, where the wall was papered with a forest scene mural. The lights are low and the reflections of the mirrored disco ball spin around in a circle on the polyurethane floor. I'm flying along with reckless abandon at breakneck speed, my feathered hair whipping in the wind created by that speed and I haven't got a care in the world.

Yeah, it's a great memory and I'm glad I was there to experience it as well, Joe.

No comments:

Post a Comment