July 20, 2010

LOST SAN FRANCISCO



The "It's-It's" ice cream sandwich was created here and until the park was torn down in 1972, Playland-at-the-Beach was the only place you could buy IT. (insert rimshot)

The classic final moments of the film "The Lady From Shanghai" with Orson Welles and Rita Hayworth were filmed at the parks' beloved Fun House.

San Francisco didn't do anything when the oceanside amusement park was put on the market and later sold to developers. The minute it was torn down, however, everyone cried about how it should have been saved.

The site sat vacant for ten years before it was finally turned into a bland and boring apartment condominium development.

2 comments:

  1. They closed down Playland when I was 11 (12?). And while I had previously been to a slot-car racing place there with a friend, and a Mexican restaurant with my dad (and maybe a ride or two), I never did go INTO the Funhouse and I complained and begged my parents no end to take me before it closed for good. They never did, and I'm still pissed off.

    ReplyDelete