May 5, 2012

BOOKWORM


"But three days went by, and we had no luck. Oh, it was terrible! My little Veruca got more and more upset each day, and every time I went home she would scream at me, 'where's my golden ticket! I want my golden ticket!' And she would lie for hours on the floor, kicking and yelling in the most disturbing way. Well, sir, I just hated to see my little girl feeling unhappy like that, so I vowed I would keep up the search until I'd got her what she wanted. Then suddenly . . . on the evening of the fourth day, one of my women workers yelled 'I've got it! A golden ticket!' And I said, 'Give it to me, quick!' and she did, and I rushed it home and gave it to my darling Veruca, and now she's all smiles, and we have a happy home once again."

"She needs a real good spanking," said Grandma Georgina

-- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Roald Dahl, 1964

No comments:

Post a Comment