June 1, 2012

CHAMPAGNE

The infamous nude swimming pool scene from the
uncompleted "Something's Got To Give"

"Let's get some Dom."

Who is Dom?, I wondered. All I could think was that I was going to have to deal with someone new now, which was a wrinkle I hadn't anticipated. Instead of asking me inside, however, she grabbed a cardigan and headed for her car. I think it was a T-bird, but I don't recall for sure. Marilyn motioned me in and drove us to Sunset, then headed east to the Strip. Near Schwab's drugstore, where Lana Turner, according to legend, was discovered sipping an ice-cream soda at the counter, Marilyn parked the car under a streetlamp and told me to wait - she'd be right back. A few minutes later, she came out of Schwab's holding a brown paper bag. Back in the car, instead of starting the engine, she reached into the bag and pulled out "Dom" - a bottle of  Dom Pérignon champagne.

-- Lawrence Schiller, from the Vanity Fair article "A Splash of Marilyn"

I love this recollection so much, because only in Hollywood could you find a drugstore that carried Dom Pérignon champagne.

No comments:

Post a Comment