October 11, 2012

CLOSET CASE

Author Timothy Kurek and friends

"There was always an elephant in the room. I snooped in my mother's journal one day after I had come out and she'd written, 'I'd rather have found out from a doctor that I had terminal cancer than have a gay son.'"

"The thing that struck me most was the isolation . . . Before I came out as gay, I had a very busy social life. After I came out, I didn't hear from 95 percent of my friends."

-- Timothy Kurek, Cross in the Closet - BlueHead Publishing, 2012

A provocative subject matter much like John Howard Griffin's Black Like Me, author Timothy Kurek, who is straight and Christian, spent one year documenting his experience as an undercover gay man who outs himself to his family and friends.

Not surprisingly, hijinx did not ensue.

I haven't purchased this book, but it sounds like it might be a good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment