December 8, 2010

10 MINUTES

It's hard to believe 30 years have passed since the news broke that John Lennon had been shot and killed outside his home in New York City. His Double Fantasy album had just been released a few months before to great reviews and big sales. My mom, a longtime Beatles fan, owned the album and played it often.

As a tribute, his widow, Yoko Ono, asked that 10 minutes of radio silence be observed around the world.

My dad owned a radio station at the time and was, of course, going to observe her request. I happened to be at the station on the day he recorded three intros for that tribute. When he finished, he asked me to listen to them and pick out the one I thought was the best. I listened to all three, chose one that I liked, and told him why. My dad agreed, and the one I chose was the one that went on the air.

The importance of this tribute was not lost on me and I am still moved by the fact that I was included by my father.

Thanks, dad. It is a memory that I treasure, and thanks, John, for your music and your words.

2 comments:

  1. but let's be honest, you really only think his band had "a couple good songs"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol oh ryan, i never said that. i said "eh, i like a couple of their songs."

    ReplyDelete