December 29, 2010

BOX OFFICE

This is the time of the year when everyone and their mother comes out with a top ten list of films they thought were the best. I'd do the same but when I sat down to list the films I had seen, I couldn't even come up with ten.

It seems I didn't make it to the local cineplex as often as I thought I had. It is possible that I may have forgotten a movie or two (wish I had forgotten I had seen Shelter Island).

Anyway, here is my list of what I thought was worth seeing at my local theatre (in no particular order):

The Tillman Story - if the Academy gave out it's Oscars to films that really deserved them, this documentary on the real story of Pat Tillman would receive a Best Picture nod. Instead, we'll have to settle for an appearance on the Best Documentary nominee list.

The Fighter - This movie was so good, it may have turned me into a boxing fan. I couldn't get enough of Melissa Leo as the "momager" of boxer Mickey Ward (Mark Wahlberg). She is so damn good that I'm convinced they found her at some drunks bar in Lowell, Massachusetts.

Black Swan - It's expected that Natalie Portman will be sweeping the acting awards circuit this season, and probably with reason. She's great as the stressed out ballerina who is totally losing her shit as the opening night of Swan Lake approaches. This is also the first time I liked Mila Kunis.

Avatar - I've taken some heat for liking this movie, but so what. I did and if you can't handle that, then kiss my ass!

Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work - There is no in between when it comes to Joan Rivers. You either like her or you don't. I love her because she is funny, but I also love her because she just doesn't give a shit what people say or think about her. She's had to fight her entire career, she's still here and she's still relevant. Rock on, Joan.

No comments:

Post a Comment