August 19, 2011

YES, CHEF


I've been slowly sliding down a dangerous path, lately. I'm finding myself watching a little more "reality" programming than I care to admit, and my new favourite is Rocco's Dinner Party, hosted by Rocco DiSpirito, on Bravo.

Already famous for his early entry in the reality show trend, The Restaurant (which was filmed on a location just a few blocks from where I lived in Manhattan), Rocco does come with a pedigree, as well. He opened Union Pacific in the Gramercy Park neighborhood of Manhattan back in 1997, to great fanfare and reviews.

Tall, good-looking, successful, and thin, I have every reason to HATE Rocco. However, I'm finding it difficult to do that, as this show is pretty damn good. Three chefs from different backgrounds compete for two available spots, which then allows them to cook for Rocco and his celebrity friends. The chef who is chosen best by the guests walks away with a $20,000 grand prize.

The season finale was a 90-minute extravaganza, with the two competing chefs cooking for the legendary Liza Minnelli. Billed as her 65th birthday celebration, birthday guests included Alan Cumming, Sandra Bernhard, Kenneth Cole, Marvin Hamlisch, and Sam Harris. One chef in particular, Frank Picchione (who went on to win the grand prize) looked as if his head was going to explode, spreading confetti all over, when informed he was cooking for Ms. Liza with a Z herself.

The Master/Slave dynamic between host and competitors is probably my favorite part. It amuses me so much to watch the competitors answer Rocco with a submissive "Yes, Chef" or "No, Chef," as he questions their choices and cooking styles.

If you get a chance, you should check this show out, it's very entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment