August 30, 2012

DEAR DIARY

Monroe, on the IRT Grand Central Station
subway platform

I've often said my favorite thing about New York City is the subway. In fact, I've blogged several times over the years about how much I LOVED the subway when I lived there. However, I recently found the journal I had to keep for a writing class I was taking in college, and it seems my feelings back then weren't as amorous as I remembered:

10-5-99

"For the last few days, I've been house-sitting on the upper eastside. To get to work, I've been taking the 4 train, and have come to the conclusion that it is the most inhumane way to travel. Sweaty, over-packed, surely riders, with trains that move at a snails pace. At one point, it was all I could do to keep from yelling at the top of my lungs 'OH FUCK!'"


Well how about that?

Maybe I should take off my rose-colored glasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment