January 20, 2011

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU LOOKING AT?


A recent survey by Travel+Leisure Magazine has listed Los Angeles as the "Most Rude City in America." Hmm, okay. I'm not sure if I would call Los Angelenos rude. Vapid, yes, but rude? Meh. The obviously flawed survey goes on to place New York City at number 2, while San Francisco landed at number 14.

HUH?

Having lived for many years in both cities, I can tell you that it's San Francisco that is way more rude . . . and smug . . . and dirty . . . and phony than the city I call "My Oz."

Comedian Jim Dialikis says it best when describing the people of the city so nice, they named it twice:

"They're friendly but they have a different way of showing you. I love New Yorkers, they stab me in the front."

Yup, pretty accurate assessment, if you ask me. You will always know what time it is with a New Yorker.

*note to self, cancel subscription to travel+leisure magazine.

3 comments:

  1. I agree totally. Just last week I was explaining to a Californian that NYers are *not* rude. They're actually very accommodating and helpful. But just get on with it and ask and don't hem and haw.. And SF is such a smug disgusting place.

    I guess getting right to the point is defined as "rude" while passive-aggressive condescension is defined as "polite."

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can have "Your Oz".....We ARE rude here on the east coast....I'll take "My Oz" (SF) anytime! :-)

    ReplyDelete