October 19, 2010

FOR THE BOYS (AND GIRLS)

If you drive an SUV with one of these stickers on the back, then you don't support the troops.

The last time this country really got together for a cause was a huge one, World War II. Food and gasoline was rationed, the recycle rate was nearly 95%, and Americans really sacrificed (even chewing gum was given up by most so it could be given out to troops on the battlefield).

My, how times have changed.

With two wars raging in the Middle East, we weren't asked to sacrifice anything. Instead, we were told to go shopping. The troops were poorly protected and armed. We were lied to about those who served (Pat Tillman and Jessica Lynch), and then the government slashed the Veterans Administration budget by $900 million dollars.

Actions speak louder than words. A perfect example is Petaluma veterinarian Russ Gurevitch. Take a look this story. He did a pretty cool thing and it got me to think that I could do a little more than I have (which wasn't much).

I'm not some rabid flag-waving hawk, but as someone who was at the World Trade Center that day (which was the genesis for these wars), the least I could do is ask how I can help. So I am and think you should ask yourself the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment