May 1, 2011

BAD GIRLS

When I was very young, I used to love watching the Bay Bombers, a local roller derby team whose matches were broadcast live from the Cow Palace on KTVU. I remembering feeling very amused about watching these women beating the hell out of each other while skating around and around in a circle. The popularity of this sport was on the wane, however, and was it all but gone by the mid-70's.

So it was with GREAT pleasure and excitement that I joined my cousin Iliana and her friend Marion for a double-header at the Oakland Convention Center. The Bay Area Derby Girls was founded in 2004, with four teams, San Francisco Shevil Dead, Oakland Outlaws, Berkeley Resistance, and last but not least, the Richmond Wrecking Belles.

It was so awesome. How could you not like a group of women skating around with names like Frank N Hurter, Auntie Christ, Surly Maclaine, Tae Kwon Ho, and my personal favourite, Baron Von Punchausen. While they're not nearly as violent as the Bay Bombers were (come on, even Farrah Fawcett got a nice little beat down on that very special episode of Charlies Angels), it was still great fun, the crowd was loud, and I can't wait for the next game (May 21).

No comments:

Post a Comment