July 5, 2012

FIRST DATE


It was February of 1983, when after a rather hot and heavy make-out session in the back of the bus (following a choir competition - shut up), I decided that Kim and I should go out. After passing a rumored background check by her uncle, who was then on the local police force, we were given the go-ahead for what turned out to be the first date for the both of us.

Grease was the movie we went to see, and the balcony was where we sat. As Olivia Newton-John began the first verse to "Hopelessly Devoted To You," I thought to myself that I should kiss her and sort of make that song our song. I'm not sure at what point in the song I decided to go in for the kill, but when I did, I turned towards her, leaned in, and proceeded to plant a big fat wet one  . . .

 . . . ON HER NOSE!

Oh my god, I was absolutely mortified. She instantly busted a gut, while I quickly turned back to my seat, crossed my arms, and sulked during the rest of the movie.

So, nearly 30 years later, it was with great pleasure and amusement when we found ourselves reliving a fondly-remembered moment from our past at the Castro Theatre. They were screening the sing-a-long version of John and Olivia's beloved opus this past Tuesday evening, and there we sat, laughing and enjoying each other's company . . .

. . . sans nose-kiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment