October 17, 2009

I FELT THE EARTH, MOVE, UNDER MY FEET

It's hard to believe that 20 years have passed since the Loma Prieta Earthquake in 1989. I was working for The Sharper Image at their headquarters on the corner of Davis and Broadway. Laura (a co-worker) and I were just leaving for the day when the building began to shake. When all was said and done, Laura and I began to walk around the area and found ourselves in Chinatown, where there didn't seem to be too much damage. We were beginning to think that the earthquake wasn't as bad as it felt.

That was until we reached Union Square.

The picture above is of the great old San Francisco department store, I. Magnin, located at Geary and Sacramento Streets. From the north end of Union Square, we could see that every window (except for one, as seen above) had broken. There were people on the sidewalk who were bloody and that's when it hit me that this earthquake had been a serious one.

No comments:

Post a Comment