October 6, 2009

THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME . . .


and this movie is "home" for me.

I received the latest DVD release of this true classic film yesterday and I can't wait to sit down and watch it for the millionth time. Wizard Of Oz is always listed in my top five favorite films, but secretly, it is my true favorite.

Back in the early 90's, I had the pleasure of seeing it on the big screen for the first time. Before the movie started, a mother had brought her son and they sat in the row behind me. It was pretty obvious that it was this kid's first time at the movies because his mother was telling him that what he was going to see was only make believe and that he didn't need to be scared. I groaned and thought to myself "oh great, this kid's never gonna shut up."

I was wrong.

He sat quiet through the whole film except during the scene where Toto escapes the Wicked Witch's castle. When Toto reaches the drawbridge that the witch's minions are starting to raise up, the dog hesitates for a split second and in that split second, the kid sitting behind me screams "Jump, Toto, Jump." Toto, of course, jumps and the entire theatre erupted with laughter and applause.

This movie is absolute magic!

No comments:

Post a Comment