February 17, 2011

FROM THE DESK OF . . .

To:     John Mackey, CEO of Whole Foods
Re:     Imported Produce

Dear Mr. Mackey:

I was shopping in your store yesterday and found myself quite bothered by the amount of produce that seemed to be trucked in from not only other countries, but other continents, as well. As a result, I ended up doing my produce shopping at another nearby store that sells more locally produced fruits and vegetables.

I applaud your business model and your influence on the dietary changes and food shopping habits of America. It's great to see Non-GMO, Gluten and Cruelty-Free food items on your shelves. However, it seems that trucking in produce from farms that are in some cases, thousands of miles away, cancels out the whole "good-for-you-organic" kind of thing.

Much of the produce I saw in your 24th Street location seemed to be brought in from Mexico and Chile. It struck me as ironic, considering most, if not all of what was on the shelves is food that is grown here in California. I believe that selling seasonal is not only better for our health, it's better for the economy AND the environment.

If you would like to fly me to your headquarters for a more formal discussion about this, I'd be up for that.

Think about it.

Sincerely,
Scott Crayne

3 comments:

  1. Two words, homeboy: FARMERS' MARKET. Cut out the middle man and know your produce is fresher--AND locally grown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. point taken. i was just commenting on their trucking shit in from places too far away and out of season. also, i was trying to get a free trip to meet the ceo and maybe get some store coupons out of it. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, well, in THAT case...carry on comrade!

    ReplyDelete