July 16, 2011

ALICE DOESN'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE



Directed by Martin Scorcese, Alice Doesn't Live Here, Anymore is on my list of favourite movies. It was also the inspiration for the long-running television show Alice. If you've ever seen the show, you might scratch your head and ask yourself "how did they go from Scorcese to 'Kiss my grits,'" but I digress.

Recently widowed and broke, Alice (portrayed by Ellen Burstyn, who won the Best Actress Oscar for this performance) hits the road with her son to pursue her long-deferred dream of becoming a singer. She gets stuck in Tuscon, becoming a waitress and falling in love, instead.

Why do I love this movie so much? It is probably the most New York Film not filmed in New York. But then, look who the director is. Anyway, while looking for a job as a singer in a series of local bars, this exchange takes place between Alice and a bar owner:

Bar owner: So you're a singer?
Alice: Yes.
Bar owner: Well, turn around.
Alice: Excuse me, why?
Bar owner: 'Cause I want to get a look at you.
Alice: Well, look at my face, I don't sing with my ass!

Oh man, I love this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment