July 30, 2011

ROSEMARYS BABY


It had been a few years since I had last seen the film Rosemary's Baby (Paramount, 1968), so I was happy to see it in my mailbox (thank you, Netflix) when I got home on Friday. It's arrival couldn't have been more timely, as it had been a bit of a disappointing day.

Nothing like a little devil worshipping to pick your spirits up, huh?

Anyway, I would have to say it was incredibly genius of director Roman Polanski to have cast some of the great old Hollywood character actors like Ruth Gordon (who won the Oscar that year for Best Supporting Actress), Elisha Cook, Jr., Ralph Bellamy, Maurice Evans, and Patsy Kelly.

Patsy Kelly?!?!?

Many of these actors were primarily known for the work in comedy, so it sort of throws you when you see them in something so dramatically different and disturbing.

So brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment