September 20, 2010

40

So I went to see The Tillman Story yesterday and I have to say that it is a MUST-SEE film. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it took the Oscar for Best Documentary, it's that good. We're all familiar with his story and I knew I would probably get pissed off while watching the film, so I even questioned my going. My reaction, however, surprised me very much.

As I walked out of the cinema, I felt absolutely broken-hearted, as if I was leaving the funeral of a close family member or a friend.

Pat was educated and read literature. He didn't own a cellphone and when he went to the stadium for practice (Pat played football for the Arizona Cardinals), it wasn't in a car. Pat would ride his beach cruiser to practice. He also married his high school sweetheart (someone he had first met when they were both 4 years old). Pat was just a regular guy from San Jose, CA who didn't buy into the NFL jock-thing.

Best of all, Pat was an atheist, something his youngest brother reminded everyone about at his public memorial. As politician after politician got up and spoke of his sacrifice and about how he was with the lord and in heaven, Richard Tillman got up and said (I'm paraphrasing, but you get the gist) "Pat wasn't fucking religious and he's not in heaven, he's dead, that's all" as he threw back a Guinness.

So Cool. Can Richard Tillman be my brother, too?

His life and service were used by the government as a recruiting tool and to build public support for an unpopular war. As the real story of Pat Tillman came out and it became apparent that he was a square peg that didn't fit in the government's round hole, members of congress denounced his family's lack of faith as the reason why they were having trouble accepting his death.

Ah, there is no love like Christian Love, huh? (sigh)

Go see the film.

1 comment: