December 5, 2011

BEST OF THE BEST 2011 - MUSICALLY SPEAKING

Best of the Year: M83 - HurryUp,We'reDreaming.


Every so often, an album comes along that instantly sears itself into your being, and M83's HurryUp, We'reDreaming is that album. It belongs on the same shelf as Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, Michael Jackson's Off The Wall, and Hole's Live Through This.

YEAH, I said it, Hole's Live Through This.


Runners up: Foo Fighters - Wasting Light and The Beastie Boys - Hot Sauce Committee Part Two.



Wasting Light reminds me that at the end of the day, I'm just a rock n roll guy at heart. Awesome tracks, here.


I've been listening to The Beastie Boys since 1986's License to Ill (an album I still have on vinyl), and for good reason. Every new release is better than the previous. Hot Sauce marks a return to their punk roots with excellent results. The best track on this collection is Lee Majors Comeback. Check it out.


Honorable mention: Washed Out - Within and Without


I'm a sucker for music that evokes a dreamy and romantic feeling, something this release does in spades. It's hard to believe this was produced by one guy (Ernest Greene) in his bedroom. The best song on this album is Soft. I've been known to hit the repeat button several times when it comes on.

2 comments:

  1. Glad I gave you that M83 disc!! What would your life have been without it?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol it would be a dull, drab, and drepressing existence.

    ReplyDelete