December 29, 2011

DANCE ON AIR


So I caught the MGM classic Singin' in the Rain at the Castro Theatre, last night. It's not the first time I had seen the film, but it was the first time I had seen it on the big screen, the way it was meant to be seen.

Singin' in the Rain is often referred to as the best American musical ever made. I'd be willing to argue the pros and cons of that statement, maybe on a later post. Anyway, I found myself watching the footwork of Gene Kelly, something you don't really notice when watching it on DVD. To call it mesmerising would be an understatement. The effortlessly athletic style to his movement has often been called out in the past, and for reason. He is so good at what he did, that he even had me thinking to myself "hey, I could do that."

Yeah, not without breaking a hip.

No comments:

Post a Comment