December 12, 2011

HOW DEEP IS YOUR LOVE




How deep is my love for the film Saturday Night Fever?

Oh, it is very deep.

I caught a big screen viewing of the 70's classic film this past weekend, and believe it may be the first time since it's initial release that I saw it the way it was meant to be seen.

People laugh and scoff at this movie because all they see is the cheesy wardrobe, the bad hair, and the dated disco music. Yes, there is a lot of polyester going on here, but it was the 70's, people. Let it go, that's what everyone was wearing back then.

Very few movies get to me the way this one does, and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because of the dialog, there are some VERY quotable lines. Is it the dancing, perhaps? Who doesn't want to walk onto the dance floor and hold court? Is it because it takes place in New York City? Maybe. It could be the way the music is used to move the story along, you know, like a how good DJ knows how to keep the party going by picking the best songs.

Whatever the reason is, this movie is high on my list of favourites. The DVD copy I have in my collection will be going into the box with me when I die.

2 comments:

  1. Did you mean how deep is your love or how deep is your throat? I remember the old State theatre in Petaluma held a record for running Deep Throat for like over a year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL oh, kristy. I remember that as well. It was double-billed with. "The Devil in Miss Jones."

    ReplyDelete