December 18, 2011

THE BIRDS


When I was younger, one of my favorite movies to watch on television was Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds. That may have something to do with the fact that it was filmed in the small towns of Bodega and Bodega Bay, about 15 miles from where I lived.

I could never figure out what the story was with the woman who played Mitch's (Rod Taylor) mother. She didn't seem particularly friendly, was a bit aloof, and talked with a funny accent.

"Who cares, they're BURDS."

Gimme a break, I used to think to myself. Who talks like that? You're a chicken farmer from Bodega Bay! 

Not seeing her in any other films gave credence to my belief she wasn't that she wasn't that good of an actress. As I got older, I found out that, in fact, she one of the finest ever, and that her name was Jessica Tandy.

(sigh) So embarrassing.

Now, whenever I see that movie, which I recently saw on the big screen for the first time, I think to myself that maybe she was just too good for this movie. I have to say that on the big screen, The Birds is not a very good film. I found it to be a bit contrived and quite dull.

It almost had me rooting for the BURDS.

No comments:

Post a Comment