August 14, 2010

CARRIE WHITE


What would Carrie White do?

I've been flip-flopping on whether or not I was going to attend my 25th class reunion, which is being held tonight. Although I am a feeling a bit curious, I decided, after much debate (well, maybe not that much), not to attend.

Life has been pretty good to me since I bid a not-so-fond farewell to Petaluma High School. Now don't get me wrong, my high school experience wasn't all bad, I've got some great memories. But I attended a virtually all-white, small-town farm school, where it was pretty common for me to be called "spic" or "fag" or even worse things -- and that was to my face.

But I still showed up, nearly everyday for four years.

Perhaps it can be said that by facing all of that, it helped shape who I am today (positively and negatively). However, I just decided that I wasn't really up for "celebrating" a time and place where I wasn't always made to feel welcome.

2 comments:

  1. I've NEVER gone to a HS reunion. Largely for the same reasons.

    In today's Facebook world, where I'm friends with a lot of old HS friends, I've been asked if I'll be going to the upcoming reunion. Nope. One friend (a nerd back then) recently said (on FB), "oh, come on. I went thru hell but time changes us and I'm better than that now" or some bullshit. Nope. I still won't go. And get this: occasionally on FB, the HS a-holes try to friend me. IMAGINE! I ignore their requests. One person I actually blocked. He was a total a-hole back then and I don't want to know he even exists. Apparently, many of the HS jerkoffs have become all Christian and loving now and think what they did then is now OK. Fuck you AND your Christ! If I went to a reunion, I guarantee you I'd raise a stink and have to be held back from punching at least a couple people. My nerd friend is correct: I'm changed. I'd actually punch em. I've developed anger issues since then. Fuckers.

    Hm.. how about holding an anti-reunion? One for those of us who never forgot, and instead of going to THEIR reunion to enjoy happy memories, we hold our own only to BITCH about the fuckers from back then? Hm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL sounds good to me. Facebook reunions are good enough for me and yes, i've ignored a few "friend requests" for the same reasons.

    ReplyDelete