March 17, 2010

THE ACCIDENTAL LOCALVORE

I noticed that I was going through eggs pretty fast recently, and wondered if you could get a flat of eggs somewhere in SF. Of course you can, but they're gonna cost you an arm and a leg at any one of the farmer's markets around town. That got me thinking about the food I ate when I was a kid and where it came from, and growing up in Petaluma, it all was raised no more than ten miles from home.

The eggs we ate came from Miller Egg Ranch on Cavanaugh Lane, about a mile and a half from our home. My mom would buy 2 or 3 flats at a time since they were only $1.25 a flat. The woman who always rang up our order used to wear this HUGE blond beehive wig and would give me or my brother DumDum suckers for coming in. If I went in alone, she would tell me to take one for my brother and when I got back into the car, sometimes I would tell him "they were out of suckers" and then eat them both when I got back into my room.

Sorry, Todd.

The meat we were served came from Batemon's Meats on Petaluma Blvd. North, and that meat came from cows raised not far from where me, my brother and the rest of our friends ran around. My mom was such a regular that they would sometimes go into the back and bring out a fresher cut of whatever she was buying.

Our milk came from dairies that were no more that a couple of miles away from our home and as if that wasn't enough, we had, along with everyone else in the area, a fruit and vegetable garden.

Thinking about it today, it's sounds so quaint and so cool.

2 comments:

  1. My dad lives in Sebastopol very near to Andy's! (Off Mill Station Rd) I've made many purchases there too over the years.

    I also remember, when I was a kid, driving by some Petaluma chicken "processing plant" where we'd see chickens hanging by a foot on a conveyor-kind of thing (like they have in dry cleaners) that went round the outside of the bldg then thru a hole in the wall to the inside where, presumably, they were efficiently slaughtered. Ahh, the good ol' days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Thooooose were the dayyyyys!!"

    ReplyDelete