June 9, 2010

I'LL HAVE A BLT ON LIGHT RYE NOT TOASTED, AN ORDER OF FRIES WITH RUSSIAN DRESSING ON THE SIDE, AND A 7-UP OR SPRITE, THANK YOU -- REDUX

So a few days back, I posted about one of my favourite New York City diners. I suppose I was in one of my melancholy "MISSING IT" moments, something that's been happening frequently.

Anyway, one of my more faithful "Poopers," Raymond, informed me (by way of comment), that he heard that the Empire Diner had recently shut down. I looked into it and sure enough, it had closed down about 3 weeks ago.

OH MAN! Break it to me like that, why don't ya?

I'm not sure if the plan to franchise the name is such a great idea (as the owners have planned), but I was really bummed to hear of it's closing.

4 comments:

  1. jeepers, sorry to be such a brutal Pooper. How should I'a broke it to you? While feeding you grapes as you received a multi-hand massage (ALL OVER massage)?

    So this franchise baloney. Where'd you hear that? What are the plans? Just the name, or the name along with a 'deco' look with a mock Empire State Building tower on top?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL yes to all of the above.

    i read about them franchising the name name and i believe, the menu. it wasn't just a standard "railcar diner" menu, a bit upscale, if you will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i loved this place! i'm almost - almost - as bummed as i was when Florent closed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG Florent!!! yeah, i was bummed about that one as well. i know cities cycle-out and change all the time, but still . . .

    ReplyDelete