June 4, 2011

BALI HA'I


I watched the classic film South Pacific late last year for the first time on Turner Classic Films, and was quite surprised how much I liked it. So much so, in fact, that I've watched it a few times since and am totally secure about my deep love for this film.

I'm not sure if it's the beautiful locale (it was filmed on the island of Kaui), the lush cinematography, or the tragic love story of Lt. Cable and Liat (pictured above). Maybe it's the amazing performances of super sexy Rossano Brazzi, the lovely and exuberant Mitzi Gaynor, or the always funny Ray Walston.

Could it be the Blu-Ray transfer? (it's breathtakingly beautiful, by the way)

Nope, it isn't any of that. The film, released in 1958, is based on the Rodgers and Hammerstein Broadway musical from 1949. If I had to break it down, it's probably the songs and one of my favorites is You've Got To Be Taught. The song goes:

You've got to be taught
To hate and fear,
You've got to be taught
From year to year,
It's got to be drummed
In your dear little ear
You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught to be afraid
Of people whose eyes are oddly made,
And people whose skin is a diff'rent shade,
You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught before it's too late
,
Before you are six or seven or eight,
To hate all the people your relatives hate,
You've got to be carefully taught!
 
I just find it amazing a message like this would come from a Broadway musical that premiered in the '40's, when race relations were less than perfect. If you get the chance, you really should add this film to your Netflix queue

2 comments:

  1. I love both the the play and movie. The year I was a senior in HS the play was done with all High Schools participating and it was great. One of my favorites songs is A 101 pounds of fun she's my little hunny bun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL that is a good one. i do remember the all-district musicals. i was in Bye Bye Birdie when i was a junior.

    ReplyDelete