June 14, 2011

BUS STOP


I've said this before and I'll say it again: I don't know who's doing the P.R. for the Transport Workers Union Local 250-A (the union that represents Muni operators), but clearly they are overpaid.

Once again, they have shown themselves to be selfish, entitled, and just plain brainless. Union members overwhelmingly voted against a contract that would have frozen wages for three years, cut down overtime by allowing the use of part-time operators,  and give management more control over discipline and day-to-day operations.

However, the city charter stipulates that when management and union members are unable to agree on a contract, an independent arbitrator is called in and makes the decision, which is binding. Yesterday, the arbitrator ruled in favor of the contract, not union members.

YES!

I don't see how Muni operators feel they're above every other city and state employee, both of which have had to take pay cuts, pay freezes, furlough days, etc. They have steadfastly refused to voluntarily take any kind of pay or benefit cut, inspite of the economy. With an average wage of $29.32 per hour plus some very decadent benefits, like unlimited sick leave (they don't even have to call in, they can just not show up), I don't think many of them would be going hungry.

There has been some talk about work slow downs and possible strikes. Well, if they don't mind, I'd like to suggest this: if you're not happy with your work situation or union, then quit. Seriously, in a state with an unemployment rate just over 12%, I'm sure there are PLENTY of people who would be happy to have the jobs the operators are taking for granted.

I know I would.

Oh man, can you imagine me as a Muni driver? I would be an AWESOME Muni driver. All fares would be collected, my buses would always be on time, and passengers would enjoy a safe ride, as I would have no problem throwing some of those menacing street toughs off the bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment